Sunday, June 14, 2009

The day of the first date with No.2


So I decided to choose something I thought No.2 would like, but was different from anything we've done before. No.2 has really taken to helping us with the lawn and landscaping. He seems to like flowers and plants. He notices little things in the yard - subtle characteristics about colors, shapes, and sizes of flowers, rocks and leaves. I'm always finding rocks or hard tree berries in the washer that have made their way out of No.2's pockets. So, our date included an evening at the Franklin Park Conservatory during their special Blooms and Butterflies event.

In the car on the way, I remarked that we had forgotten to take him to the bathroom just before leaving. No.2 replied, "Mom, will they have yucky, dirty bathrooms at the garden place?" I think he was referring to the porta-potty that he recently had his first introduction to at one of No.1's t-ball games. He was so disgusted that he refused to go in. I chuckled imagining a green porta-potty sitting in the middle of a sophisticated conservatory.

My choice of venue was confirmed as we walked up the front walkway to the entrace of the conservatory. No.2 pointed and said, "Mom, we have those plants." Indeed, he had identified cat mint, which we have growing in our front yard.

As we entered the first planetarium, No.2 looked at me wide-eyed and asked, "Are all these plants real?" He enjoyed the plants with the humoungus leaves the best. He also liked feeding the fattest koi I've ever seen.



The weather made for a really nice evening, which made being out on the outside patios really pleasant. At one point, he directed me to a cluster of chairs and said, "Mom, let's sit here and talk." I hope that lasts through his teenage years.

We rounded out our evening at the conservatory with a quick stop in the gift shop where he bought a miniature rubber frog and ladybug and a speckled marble. He also picked out a second marble for No.1 and a miniature rubber butterfly for No.3.


We stopped at the donut store on the way home - No.2's favorite treat. He also got a kick out of the big "D"s used as handles on the shop doors. And as always, he picked the chocolate frosted with sprinkles. I picked out my favorite, a French cruller. No.2 decided he liked French crullers too, so we shared our donuts together.

For me, the best part was just spending unhurried, undistracted time with my middle-child. His personality requires more attention than I'm often able to provide on a daily basis. Although, I guess he's beginning to adjust by knowing he's got to nail me down in order to "talk". I will always have time for an evening out with my No.2.

No comments:

Post a Comment