Thursday, August 23, 2012

A New Beginning....


Today was the first day of school, so naturally I became very reflective all day long.  I kept walking passed my boys' room - beds dutifully made, floor free of scattered legos, and house a bit too quiet.  I moped around all day and counted down the hours until their return.  Somehow, I'm a bit resentful that Mrs. So-and-so gets just as many waking hours of their time as I do.  That just feels wrong to me.  But, at the same time, I'm not quite woman enough to homeschool my kids.  I wish there were a half-day option where they go to school for say four or five hours to learn the basic reading, writing, and math and get some socializing with their peers.  And then I provide all the enrichment activities like music, art, sports, etc.  I think it'd be a better overall use of my kids' time.

So...within all the "reflecting" I was doing, I decided, like so many other parents out there, that the kids are simply growing up too fast!  Time is flying by and I feel like I'm not savoring this precious stage enough.  I'm not documenting, journaling, keepsaking, etc enough.  Hence, I'm making a renewed commitment to spend more time recording these precious moments as best as I can (which means the dishes just might not get done sometimes!).  And I've decided that blogging is the best medium for me to utilize because of its flexibility and wide range of media resources.

I used to regard blogging as somewhat superficial and superfluous - really just something that took needless time AWAY from my family.  Now that I have a more focused purpose I can justify the precious time it will take to do a good job.  My goal is to be true to life and courageously honest in presenting what life is really like at this stage of our family without regard to who may be reading it other than my family and our posterity.  Plus, I'd like to become a better writer.

So, here's to a new beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment